History: Wat Phra Yuen or the original name Wat Aranyikaram, the temple of the East. It is one of the four temples that are located and represent the four corner directions of Lumphun town. Queen Cham Thewi ordered to create this temple in 1213 Buddhist century for Buddhist monks for vassa-residence who were followers from Lahore kingdom. The name Wat Phra Yuen followed the name of the ancient standing Buddhist statue. Later on, there were three more standing Buddhist statues built by a senior monk called Sumon from Sukhothai era. Now the temple has four Buddhist statues. The temple also has important archeological sites, including the stone inscription which was discovered in Wat Phra Yuen being approximately about 600 years old. The Ubosot was built in 1929, which today still contains paintings, on the pediment side which shows the pattern decoration. They still exist today and appear beautifully preserved.
Highlights: Phra Yuen, stone inscription, Ubosot, paintings.
Location: Wiang Yai Sub-district, Lamphun District, Lamphun Province
Baan Lapoon Hotel (Lapoon means Lamphun as pronounce by its locally) is a small boutique hotel with only 9 rooms, situat...
Total visits to the site