History: In Wat Phra Jao Ton Luang, there is a large Buddha image, the important and sacred Buddha of Lanna, commanding a lap width of 7.5 meters together with the height from the base is 9.50 meters, built by a Thera monk from Chiang Saen in 1909. Subsequently there was a war, people escaped from the area and the monument become abandoned, desolated the area became a forest. As a result of lacking attention, the temple was damaged by wild elephants. As a consequence Phra Jao Ton Luang collapsed into ruin, only some parts of the face and torso still remain. It was not until 1922, when Kru Ba Ya Samuth from Wat Lao Yaaw arrived here, that the renovation commenced. Sadly, he had passed away before the restoration was completed. However, in 1924, a group of people who were faithful to Buddhism invited Kruba Srivichai to be the president of the site restoration of construction. However, the project was interrupted, when the dean of Bpang Bpong District (Paa Sang District in present) ordered the construction to cease. In 1960. Phra Kru Intraratanakhun the abbot from Wat Laay Keaw ordered Phra Doung Dee Phromchotho with the group of his faithful people to dig up the Buddha’s head and restore it to its rightful position, filling the mould with cement, it was then moved from the original place to the base and they built a temporary Vihan. Waiting for the appropriate time to take the Buddha image up the shrine, in 1963, the 11th day of the 10th waxing moon, the ceremony of “Installing Spirit” commenced. The evening was attended by a large gathering of monks and local people in attendance. The temple is considered of great important now to the Ban Hong villagers.
Location: Baan Sri Tia Sub-district, Ban Hong District, Lamphun Province
Baan Lapoon Hotel (Lapoon means Lamphun as pronounce by its locally) is a small boutique hotel with only 9 rooms, situat...
Total visits to the site